The Bureau of Family Assistance (BFA) administers programs and services for eligible NH residents by providing financial, medical, food & nutritional assistance, help with child care costs and emergency help to obtain and keep safe housing. Family Services Specialists (FSS) determine initial and continuing eligibility and the amount of benefits, and benefits are delivered using federal and NH guidelines and policies.
- Cash Assistance: Old Age Assistance (OAA), Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled (APTD) and Aid to the Needy Blind (ANB): “Cash assistance supports elderly adults and individuals that are physically disabled, mentally disabled, or legally blind. Eligibility and benefit amounts for SSP depends upon the individual and spouse’s income, resources, and living arrangements.
- Medical Assistance: Medicaid, Medicare Savings Program (MSP) and NH Health Protection Program (NHHPP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Food Stamps): The SNAP Program is about good nutrition and health. It provides eligible people with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, farmers markets and other approved food retailers.
- Child Care Scholarship: Child care assistance helps with the cost of child care. Parents must be working, looking for work or in a training program. It is important to note that children may be placed on a waitlist for child care assistance
Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF)
FANF provides cash assistance to families with dependent children through one of the below listed programs of assistance. All FANF programs have the same cash eligibility requirements and the same benefit limits.
- NH Employment Program (NHEP) and Family Assistance Program (FAP)
- Families with Older Children (FWOC)
- Interim Disabled Parents (IDP) programs
- Child Care Assistance (Child Care Scholarship)
- Emergency Assistance
- Employment & Training Programs & Support Services:
Use the NH Easy Gateway to Services website to apply for all benefits.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.